Active time: 30 minutes
- 1 ½ c short grain white rice
- 1 ½ c water
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c English peas, fresh or frozen
- Rinse and strain the rice several times until the water runs clear.
- When using fresh peas, cook them with rice in a donabe or rice cooker. Skip step 3.
- When using frozen peas, blanch them lightly in boiling water for 2 minutes while the rice is cooking. Shock the peas in an ice bath before straining and drying them.
- In a small bowl, mix the matcha, water and salt until a loose paste is formed.
- When the rice is finished cooking, fold in the peas (if previously frozen) and the matcha slurry. Fluff the rice until it is fully incorporated.
- With damp hands or an onigiri mold, form the mixture to the desired size.
- Immerse the onigiri into tencha goma shio or sprinkle the seasoning on top.
- Serve at room temperature.