Active time: 45 minutes
Latte Blend: 2 shots
- ½ c (3 oz) small pearl tapioca
- 4 c (900 mg) whole milk, or milk alternative
- ½ tsp (2 g) salt
- 1 c (175 g) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp (4 g) vanilla extract
- Combine tapioca, milk and salt in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Bring the ingredients to a bare simmer. Lower the heat and cook, uncovered, at the lowest possible heat, adding sugar gradually until the tapioca pearls have plumped up and thickened.
- Stir occasionally so the tapioca doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Slowly whisk hot tapioca into the beaten eggs, a spoonful at a time, to equalize the temperature and to avoid curdling.
- Add the tempered egg mixture into the remaining tapioca.
- Increase the heat to medium low and stir for several minutes until it reaches a thick, pudding consistency. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and matcha shots.
- Serve either warm or chilled.
- For the best results, do not use instant tapioca.
- The time it takes to plump the tapioca pearls will be anywhere between five and 45 minutes, depending on the brand and whether you pre-soaked the tapioca.