Servings: 6-12 cookies
Active time: 35 minutes
Matcha sable dough
Latte Blend: powder mode x5
- 6 tbsp (85 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 tbsp (½ c) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 g) kosher salt
- 1 c (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp (1.5 g) vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (½ g) sesame seeds
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and powdered sugar for 4-6 minutes, until light in color and fluffy.
- Sift together salt, flour and matcha. Slowly mix the dry mixture into the butter mixture. Do not overmix.
- Add yolk and vanilla to the bowl and stir until just incorporated.
- The dough can either be rolled into sheets (approximately ⅛ inch thick) immediately and chilled, or wrapped as a block in plastic wrap for later use.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut cookies from the dough.
- Gently press sesame seeds into dough.
- Bake at 320°F/160°C for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and before any discoloration appears.
Latte Blend: powder mode x2
- 3 ½ tbsp (50 g) heavy cream
- 1 ¼ c (200 g) white chocolate
- 1 tbsp (13 g) unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp (1 g) kosher salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a small, heavy-bottom saucepan. Using a whisk, stir over low heat until the matcha powder dissolves and the chocolate melts.
- The mixture should be glossy and smooth. Do not overheat it.
- Let the mixture cool and then transfer to a piping bag. Allow it to set.
Latte Blend: powder mode x1
- ⅓ c (41 g) powdered sugar
- Place the cookies upside down, applying the ganache to the side now facing up.
- Pipe a small amount of mixture, beginning in the center and spiraling out, leaving a 1-cm space from the ganache to the edge of the cookie.
- Place a second cookie on top and very carefully apply pressure, just enough to push the ganache to the edge, but not enough to break the delicate cookie.
- Sift matcha and powdered sugar together. Press each cookie into the sugar mix. Set the assembled cookies in the refrigerator for up to 30 minutes, so the ganache might become firm. Serve immediately or wrap them in shiny foil, like the original Argentinian alfajores.