Active time: 40 minutes
- 1 c (100g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (2.5g) salt
- 3 tbsp (45g) butter, melted
- 1 egg (room temp)
- ¼ c (60g) brown sugar
- ⅓ c (75mL) milk of choice
- Sift flour, matcha powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Melt the butter without letting it get too hot and set aside.
- Mix the egg and sugar thoroughly.
- Slowly add the melted butter to the egg and sugar mixture until it is fully combined.
- Add the milk to the sugar mixture.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and combine well, but do not overmix it.
- Grease a small baking tray or square mold lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter and spread it evenly to every edge of the baking tray.
- Steam the batter with a steaming vessel for 15-18 minutes on medium heat, making sure to create a steady steam but not a rolling boil, so you don’t run out of water mid-steaming.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the thickest part of the cake. When it comes out dry, remove the cake from the steam setup.
- Let the cake cool down for several minutes before removing it from the baking tray. Allow it to cool down to room temperature before cutting into it.
- Any steaming vessel will work as long as you have a way to boil water in an enclosed piece of equipment. For example, you could use a round cake pan placed in a large pot of cooking water with a pot lid.
- You can keep the cakes in an airtight container for a few days.